Cuban organizers announced on Saturday the postponement of the Festival del Habano, the island’s signature cigar event, as the country deals with a severe energy shortage. In a message sent to participants, Habanos S.A. said it was delaying the gathering, which had been scheduled for February 24 to 27. No new dates were provided.
The company stated that the move seeks to keep the highest standards of quality, excellence and experience that define the international event. The Festival del Habano brings together cigar enthusiasts, traders and specialized journalists from around the globe. A central feature is the auction of luxury cigars and humidors. That auction raises several million dollars each year, with last year’s proceeds totaling about $19.5 million directed to Cuba’s health care system.
Sales of Cuban cigars remain a key source of foreign income for the island’s struggling economy. Europe stands as the main market for these premium products. The postponement occurs against the backdrop of a major fuel crisis. The United States halted oil deliveries from Venezuela, Cuba’s primary supplier, after the ouster of longtime president Nicolas Maduro in early January. President Donald Trump also issued an executive order that opens the door for tariffs on countries that continue to sell oil to Havana.
International airlines, including Air Canada, have suspended flights to Cuba over the lack of fuel. Several governments have warned their citizens to reconsider travel to the island, citing the risk of being stranded. President Miguel Diaz-Canel has said the Trump administration wants to suffocate Cuba’s economy, which has operated under a U.S. embargo since 1962.
The annual festival normally serves as a major platform to promote Cuban cigars and generate revenue that supports public services. This year’s edition will not go ahead as planned.
The post Cuba Postpones Cigar Festival Amid Energy Crisis appeared first on The Tico Times | Costa Rica News | Travel | Real Estate.
